Monday, August 11, 2008

Journey to Ireland

In the wee hours Sunday morning, I disembarked a flight home from JFK Airport. This was the last leg of my nine day journey to Ireland. If I had to use a one word description of my trip it would be spectacular!
This trip of a life time was made even better because my daughter went with me. We traveled by car from Dublin though Wexford, Waterford, Cobh, Killarney, and concluded our trip in Shannon. Having never driven on the left had side, this journey was even more exciting because the roads are barely wide enough for one vehicle. The entire country uses a system of roundabouts, instead of traffic signals, which makes for very interesting travel. Even though we were driving a small, fuel-efficient diesel vehicle, the approximately $11.00 per gallon would make any one stand up and take notice.
One stop at the Waterford Crystal Factory gave my credit card a real work-out. The tour included the entire manufacturing process of their fine crystal making process. Even though I am apprehensive about heights, my daughter and I climbed the 108 steep, spiral steps at the Blarney Castle and the views were nothing less than superior. The Cliffs of Moher presented another challenge to tackling heights but the photos we took were well worth our efforts.
The most memorable stop on our journey was at the Dunbrody Abbey School of Cookery. Proprietors, Pierce and Valerie McAuliffe, were marvelous hosts for our afternoon of Irish-inspired cooking lessons. My daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed this Irish couple's warmth and hospitality. Their cooking lessons provided an in-depth look at the foods of Ireland. We came away from their school loaded with recipes of brown bread, scones and savory tarts.
All in all, the most treasured memory of my visit to Ireland was the quality time spent with my daughter whom I miss having close because she lives in Seattle. This vacation will be always be ingrained in our memories. We will forever remember seeing the Leprechaun in Killareny that rainy afternoon that brought us the luck of the Irish!







No comments: