Thursday, June 12, 2008

GBW signs on

Yesterday, I received the following text Charlie Keller who is a staff member of Congresswoman Ginny Brown-Waite's office in Washington, DC. I pasted the entire text of this House floor speech of Congresswoman Brown-Waite. This text from Mr. Brown-Waite's House floor speech speaks for itself:
Rep. Brown-Waite (R-FL): “I thank the gentleman. Mr. Speaker I rise today on behalf of H. Con. Res. 336, a common sense resolution that expresses support for one of the greatest segments of the American population, the disabled American veteran. Back home in Florida, I represent nearly 110,000 veterans, the second highest number of any Member of Congress. As you might guess, many of these brave men and women are disabled; either injured in battle or in the course of their service in the United States military. Disabled veterans are cared for by the military professionals at the VA. They also band together in veteran organizations like the Disabled American Veterans, Paralyzed Veterans of America, or Blinded Veterans Association. However, there is no federal recognition in place for Americans specifically to remember the deeds and heroism of disabled veterans. The concurrent resolution before us today calls for the establishment of a Disabled American Veterans week and shows all disabled veterans that Congress does not forget their bravery and actions in service to our great nation. You know, every weekend I return home to Florida to meet with my constituents and hear their needs and concerns. And what I can do to serve the men and women in the fifth congressional district. I often hear words of thanks for voting to drill for oil in ANWR and in the Outer Continental Shelf, or I get asked what Congress is going do to stop the outrageous increase in the cost of gasoline that we’ve seen since our colleagues across the aisle took over in the House and Senate. However, the most poignant stories I hear are oftentimes from veterans. As you might expect, I attend dozens of veterans' events throughout the eight counties in my district. It is indeed at these events I hear stories of courageous deeds, heroic actions, and lives forever changed by the ravages of war. Disabled veterans have given so much to this nation with their blood, sweat, and tears lying on the battlefield, from Germany to Korea to Vietnam to Iraq and Afghanistan. This resolution calling for a Disabled American Veterans week shows the thousands of men and women who served with honor and distinction that Congress will see that their memories and deeds are never forgotten. I thank my colleague, Mr. Altmire, for introducing this resolution and I would hope that all Members of this body can support such a worthy passage for disabled veterans. Thank you and I yield back me the balance of my time.”

No comments: