Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Precinct 1

This morning when I drove up to my precinct to vote I became concerned because my elderly neighbor was not sitting outside. Much to my relief, he was attempting to stay warm just inside the door. This neighbor has been a poll worker since before I began voting in Precinct 1 in 1992. His name is Orville "Buck' Sharp and is lovingly called the mayor of Nobleton. After giving Buck a big hug we chatted briefly about his well being. Although Buck is close to 90 years old, he still works at our polling place from sun up to sundown, along with many more of my elderly neighbors. Else Howell was there this morning checking identification of the voters along with my neighbor Maxine Milliken. As much I consider voting my civic duty being a pleasure, I find just as much joy going to the polls to visit with my neighbors who have volunteered at our precinct for more years than I have lived in Hernando County. My thanks go out to these kind souls that give their time to our community!

No comments: