Friday, September 07, 2007

Call to the public...

This morning, Commissioner Jeff Stabins put out a call to the public for suggestions on how to further cut Hernando County budget. I took this opportunity to forward an email to all the county commissioners with my suggestions. I have attended every county budget hearing for the past 15 years but I will not be attending this year. Even though everyone needs the opportunity to address their concerns with government but I believe the artificial atmosphere that has been created by the Government Gone Wild series and Lower Hernando Taxes will drown out individuals not associated with these organizations. I have included my email to the county commissioners below:
September 7, 2007


Board of Hernando County Commission
Jeff Stabins / Chairman:

After reading your letter to the editor that was published in the Hernando Times this morning, I felt obliged to forward my suggestions for budget reductions. Please note that even though my Ad Valorem was reduced by approximately $53.00, my out of pocket expenses increased $16.00 on my TRIM notice due to the 25% increase for HCFR your board approved in July.

My suggestions for further Ad Valorem reduction include:
(1). Freezing salary increases for all department directors, at their current rate, to further analysis the past consequences of the Mercer Study. Further Mercer Study analysis of pay scales of government employees needs to take place, by weighing equally the wages and benefits of local private business.
(2.) Reduce the overall "reserve accounts" to realistically reflect the actual needs of Hernando County government.
I will not be attending the annual Budget Hearing on September 13th but would ask that you carefully consider my suggestions for further Ad Valorem reductions.

Respectfully,
Anna Liisa Covell

No comments: