Monday, October 16, 2006

4/5's majority

The following is an email that I sent to Commissioner Jeff Stabins this morning concerning 4/5's majority vote for the comprehensive plan on tomorrow's agenda:

October 16, 2006

Commissioner Jeff Stabins:

Although I will be unable to attend tomorrow's county commission meeting due to a prior commitment, I would like to offer you my support for the 4/5's majority vote approval of new comprehensive plan amendments.

The Hernando County Chamber of Commerce has voiced their opposition to this 4/5 majority plan in the newspaper this morning. As a long time member of this organization, please be assured that they do not speak for me personally, or for my business, on this critical issue. The local Chamber of Commerce need only look to Hillsborough and Collier counties to understand that this ordinance will not impede the planning process, nor will it impede future growth within Hernando County.

As a republican, I also do not agree with the logic of Mrs. Trinque of the Hernando County Republican Executive Committee citing a 4/5's vote will empower the minority over the majority with a 5 member county commission. I tend to look at it from the perspective of true representative government instead of having a myopic view of a 5 member board vote. I view it from the point that 4 of the 5 commissioners are on the board to represent their constituents, thusly representing 4/5's of the voting population of Hernando County.

Good luck tomorrow and stand tall with Teddy Roosevelt.
Anna Liisa Covell

No comments: